Having space on a building that could be drawing in customers and not using it is a waste.
Exterior building signs may be the most effective advertising you can buy. Every business needs to be known to their customers. How to do that depends on a number of factors. If your business depends on location and your location needs to be seen, then you need an exterior sign.
A sign above the door or a sign on the door invite passersby in. It makes your business more approachable, makes it easier for your customers to buy from you. It lets people who know about you to tell others who want to be your customers.
Getting the best exterior building signage is a process. Consider these steps for planning and designing your business’s exterior signage for maximum and memorable impact.
- Visit the Permit and Zoning department. A visit will find you at a counter with a planner telling you about their zoning policy. Bring pictures and tell them want you want. This will result in an understanding of a few things: The percentage of the window, or wall the sign can use, the types of signs and lighting that can be used, and of course, the cost of the permit.
- Know the Size and Shape. The maximum size is probably decided by the space available or zoning laws. Using that maximum space brings the maximum impact and is likely the size you should use.
- Know Your Text Font. You want to stand out and people do love odd fonts, but watch out, funky fonts can be confusing and hard to read. This will decrease your customer traffic.
- Using Color. Your color scheme can be impactful or just odd. Knowing your colors and having the right combination will increase your traffic and sales.
- If you have space for a flag, let the wind attract attention. People are drawn to motion. Having a something waving your message is one great way to flag down potential customers.
- Logos. Use caution with logos. A small business may not have the resources to create a logo design that best benefits their business. Or sometimes, someone gets too crafty and artsy with the logo, making it difficult to recreate on multiple platforms. You may want to consider hiring a professional to help you with your vision. (At Forerunner Signs & Graphics, we work with design experts to make sure you have a logo that complements and highlights your business).
- Materials. Vinyl is the most popular material for exterior building signage. Vinyl is excellent for receiving full-area digital print, is resistant to sun fade and is reasonably priced no matter how intricate a sign design may be. There are a number of installation methods with vinyl banners, such as reinforced hems with grommets, velcro backing and pole pouches and pockets.
- Keep it clean! As far as potential and new customers are concerned, your sign is your business, your products, your services, your employees, your management team, your everything. And they, your potential and new customers, are always right. Keep your sign clean, attractive and displayed properly in sunny or inclement weather.
If you are looking for interior or exterior signs or graphics, contact Forerunner Signs & Graphics. We take each of the above in consideration and work with you to find the best fit for your business and your budget!